Emma Thompson has 4 years of fieldwork experience working as an Aquatic Technician for Lotic Environmental Ltd. Emma offers expertise in environmental monitoring, water quality sampling, aquatic habitat restoration, reclamation, and rehabilitation. She has experience in the GIS realm of both desktop and mobile programs such as ArcMap, ArcGIS and other ESRI software as well as PDF Avenza, GISCloud, and GIS collector apps. In addition, Emma has also acquired experience with forest and wetland restoration, assisting on various riparian planting projects. Emma has fish handling and survey experience, having worked on a Chinook salmon mark-recapture program with Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and is certified as an electrofishing crew supervisor. Emma is well versed with Fish and Habitat Assessment Procedures, culvert assessments, and fish handling such as salvages or inventory.
Areas of Expertise
- Bioengineering – implementation of various bioengineering techniques such as installation and cabling of Large Woody Debris, riparian planting.
- Water quality sampling – use of YSI multiparameter meter, LaMotte turbidity meter, Hach velocity meter, Swoffer, TopCon FC-5000.
- Fish handling – electrofishing, mark-recapture, spawning surveys, fish salvages.
- Restoration Planning – particularly aquatic and riparian habitat restoration
- Data management and entry – ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS, Avenza, GIS Cloud, R, Excel.
- Permit Management – experience applying for research permits.
- B.Sc. (Ecological Restoration). British Columbia Institute of Technology (2021).
- Diploma. Integrated Environmental Planning and Technology. Selkirk College (2019)
- 2018-Present. Lotic Environmental. Aquatic Technician.
Relevant Training and Recent Professional Development
- Occupational First Aid (OFA 1) (2021)
- Swift Water Rescue- Technician (SRT 1) (2020)
- ATV Safety Training (2019)
- Mine Site Supervisor (2019)
- Address Geocoding with ArcGIS Certificate (2019)
- CABIN Training (2018)
- Occupational First Aid (2018)
- Backpack Electrofishing: Certified Crew Supervisor (2018)
- Avalanche Skills Training 1 (AST 1) (2017)
Professional Memberships, Awards, Special Recognition
- Biologist in Training, College of Applied Biology (2021)
- Class 2 award of Teck Scholarship Program (2020 & 2018)
- Scholarship: Irving K. Barber Transfer Scholarship (2019)
- C.U.P.E. Local 4165 Bursary (2017)
- Dogwood District Authority Scholarship (2017)
- Class 1 Award of Teck Scholarship Program (2017)
Publications and Technical Reports
- Thompson, E., Lindstrom, B., Yau., V. 2021. Rehabilitation Plan for Fuller Slough in the Alaksen National Wildlife Area, Delta, BC. BCIT.
- Thompson, E., Weststeyn, C., Pankovitch, A., Lindstrom, B., Yau, V., Halili, A. 2019. Salmonid Habitat Restoration Plan for the South Pond Area: Widgeon March Regional Pari Reserve. Coquitlam, BC. BCIT.
- Thompson, E. April 2019. Village of Fruitvale Water Sustainability Action Plan. Selkirk College School of Environment and Geomatics.
- Thompson, E., Tatengelo, G. November 2018. Brilliant Flats Park Development Plan. Selkirk College School of Environment and Geomatics.